In today’s budget climate in the government, we need solutions to our problems that are quick and inexpensive. We need to be able to maximize our efforts to provide original, quality content while simultaneously amplifying our messages to reach audiences where they are online. These two needs are frequently at odds. With Google+, you can fulfill both of these needs.
Developing and laying the proper groundwork for a Google+ page for your agency can deliver significant benefits via search engine optimization.
What is Search Engine Optimization?
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website in a search engine. When you use a Google+ page, Google can pull from that page to feed into their search engine results page. If you maximize your usage of your Google+ page, you have the potential to boost the rank of your websites and make them show up higher when people search for related content. This is important because most people click on the first item, or the first few items, on the results page.
How can I do this? 10 Tips!
- +1: Add the ability to Google +1 to your agency’s websites, by adding a button. This is probably one of the most effective ways to improve your rankings, because it allows users who interact with your website to give direct feedback to Google that your page is credible and useful. (Send your developers here.)
- 508 Compliance and Visibility: Go to https://www.google.com/settings/plus and check the following tabs:
- Accessibility: Change the presentation of some pages to work better with screen readers and other assistive tools.
- Profile: Help others discover my profile in search results.
Google+ Strategy for Maximizing SEO
- Invest in quality over quantity
- Build G+ networks (via followers, circles, influencers, and communities)
- Engage with active, relevant influencers and communities
- Post original, shareable content that is likely to be linked to, re-shared, recommended, helps people and answers questions
While you should carefully develop your Google+ strategy, hopefully these simple tips will help with maximizing your SEO while using your Google+ page. Many of these tips involve set up and minor maintenance. Consider using content you’ve already developed. You could be pleasantly surprised by the results!
This discussion is brought to you by the Federal Communicators Network. FCN members are government employees managing U.S. government communications. We've published lots more on this topic. Check out 5 Tips – How To Write For The Web and Measure Campaign Effectiveness with Link Shortening.